School Delay & Closure Information
Each winter the District faces the possibility of bad weather delaying or canceling the school day. We will only decide to delay/cancel a day when it is necessary to ensure the safety of our students and staff.
District’s decision making process on a bad weather day:
- District leaders, including Superintendent Becky Imler and Transportation Director Hamley Hale, are out as early as 4:00 a.m., driving the roads and checking on travel conditions.
- Review weather forecasts and anticipated weather patterns
- Speak with the superintendents and transportation directors from neighboring districts to determine how widespread the weather event may be.
Other factors included in the decision are the topography of the District, which is mostly flat. Consideration is also given to the fact that the District’s bus drivers are well trained and buses are outfitted with tire chains and sander systems. In addition some consideration is given to the traffic volume on roads in the District, which is generally lighter in the early morning, decreasing the chances of an event with another vehicle.
This entire process takes place in a fairly short amount of time so that in the case there is the need for a delay or closure it leaves ample time to inform our families and staff. The District makes an effort to announce delays/closures by 6:00 a.m.
Delay/Cancellation information can be found in the following places:
- District Website – www.wapatosd.org
- Twitter- @WapatoSD
- School Messenger call sent to all families (robo-call)
- Media - Watch and listen to local TV and radio stations
On rare occasions changing weather conditions may force the District to change an announced delay to a closure. If that happens, an updated alert will be sent out as soon as possible.
If Wapato Schools are operating on a 2-Hour Delay
- School buses will run on a 2-hour delay
- School buses MAY be operating on snow routes (see below)
- AM Preschool classes are canceled
- A breakfast offering will be available for students
Athletics, After-School Activities and Other School Events
If school is canceled for the day, all after-school activities, practices, games and field trips will be canceled for the day unless otherwise announced. All evening meetings and events scheduled to take place in district facilities will also be canceled unless otherwise announced.
Wapato School District “Snow Routes”
When the superintendent or superintendent designee advises that buses will be on snow routes the following will apply. Buses will not drive on private roads, lanes, or driveways when snow routes are advised. Buses will meet students at the end of the driveway, lane, or private road.
Students living on the following roads will meet at the designated areas:
- North Brownstown will meet at the corner of West Wapato and Brownstown
- Konnowac Rd., Lombard loop, Nightingale Rd, Borquin Rd, Riggins Rd. Brooks, Vista Ridge Rd will meet at the parking lot of Wind Machine Sales at 5250 Yakima Valley Hwy
- North Camas Road will meet at the corner of Camas and Jones Rd.
- Hoffer Extension West of Campbell will meet at the corner of Campbell and Hoffer Extension
- Orchard Way will meet at the corner of West Wapato and Orchard Way
- East Parker Heights Rd. will meet at the Donald Store
- Thorp Rd. will meet at Parker Bridge and the Yakima Valley Highway
- Pumphouse Rd. will meet at Lateral C and Marion Drain